Friday, April 25, 2014

The Way We Lie

Recently, I read an article written by Stephanie Ericsson. The article is about “The Way We Lie.” It is really interesting because we all lie. Telling the truth makes people feel like they cannot do anything. It is really harmful “when someone lies and someone loses. “I disagree with Ericsson about the white lies always hurting someone. She says that the person lying is trying to act better than the person who is lied to, but I think that is wrong.           
 In the article, Ericsson used five types of lies, and the first one is “The White Lie”, which is truth more painful to people than a false statement because it hurts people’s feelings and hope. Secondly, the author used “Facades” (mask). When she puts on clothing to see clients, she feels like she is wearing another person’s face, but the mask can be destructive because it is used to corrupt others as a misleading impression of reality. The third one is about “Ignoring the Plain Facts”. Ignoring the truth hurts people because they feel like they are doing the right thing but later they realized it and feel guilty. The fourth one is about “Stereotypes and Cliches”. Prejudgment is judging a person before you know them. This is bad because you are separate and truly never know his abilities in certain things. Finally, the fifth one is about “Out and Out Lies”, which causes the conformation of the lie because we already know the truth. 
In my opinion, I disagree with Ericsson about the white lies always hurting someone. She says that the person lying is trying to act better than the person who is lied to, but I think that is wrong. Sometimes, people lie to help each other out. I know that there are times when I have told my parents little white lies that made them feel better for the moment. Sometime it helps them to bring back their confidence about something and then they can move on. For example, last month my parents were really upset with my brother because he wanted to leave home. He was really mean with my parents. He says I do not want to stay in the same house with you because you are not my parents. You do not understand my feelings and do not give me freedom like other people. My parents were totally depressed and lost. I convinced them that he was drunk and said that it was not true because he was unaware of what he was saying at that time. He does not know what he said yesterday. And my parents believed me. Because my parents are self-confident, they met with him and asked about yesterday. Is your brother right that you were drunk and said that or is that true what you said to us? He was like, yes and I am really sorry about yesterday. If I say something so bad about you then I am sorry. That time I was drunk, and I did not know what I said.  So I am not going do it again in my life. Sometimes lying can be a good thing to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment